Sunday 21 October 2012

Paleo Blackberry Bars

I have been on a mission to find some fun recipes that I can bake and still indulge in once in a while.  I thought it was about time that I shared some recipes with everyone!

Today I made blackberry squares.  I must say, they are pretty tasty.  The texture is not what you would expect, but that is the coconut.  They tasted like banana, coconut, blackberry squares to me.  Nevertheless, they are yummy!! (yes I couldn't resist taking a bite before I took the picture).  My hubby enjoyed his sample (minus the fruit of course) The true test will be with Avery tomorrow!!

 
  • 1 cup coconut flour (shredded coconut blended into powder) i bought my flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut i put too much in my measuring cup and couldnt be bothered to put it back, so I used about 3/4 of a cup
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup NuNaturals Baking Blend (or sugar, agave, maple syrup, honey, whatever you’d like) i used natural honey
  • 2 bananas (about 1 cup)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (may use olive oil) coconut oil for me
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2-1 cup almond milk i put in most of the cup, i figured i had added extra coconut so i should add all the almond milk
  • 1 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen (or berry of choice)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the coconut flour, shredded coconut, cinnamon, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add in the NuNaturals Baking Blend or sugar sub, if using, mixing again.
I
n the same bowl, add in the bananas, eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup almond milk. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated, adding in more almond milk, as needed for mixing.  

Amount of almond milk varies as coconut flour does soak up liquids quickly, and using more or less coconut flour or shredded coconut will change the absorption of liquids. Add in enough almond milk so the batter is the consistency of cookie batter (but will probably be slightly drier).  my mix was "wetter" than cookie batter.... my squares are a little heavy, but i like them

Fold in the blackberries and spoon the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until the sides are golden.

Remove from oven and cool. Cut into about 16 squares. they take a while to cool, i tasted mine scorching hot. lol

I got the recipe on Pinterest, and it is pinned from:
http://www.whatrunslori.com/2011/08/the-story-of-paleo-blackberry-bars/# 

Happy Gluten-Grain-Dairy free baking!!

JoJo!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment