Tuesday 16 July 2013

OMG!! Paleo Pizza!!

Yes, that's right, PIZZA!!  Avery LOVES pizza, so I have to give this one a try.  I love pizza too, but because of the silly 21DSD I was not supposed to be eating anything of that nature.  Screw it, I tasted the crust of Avery's pizza and I loved it.  It was absolutely delicious.  It tasted like a focacia bread to me. Yum Yum Yum.  Avery seemed to enjoy it too. She ate about as much of the crust as she would a regular pizza, so in my books its a winner!!



I know Tapioca flour and arrowroot flour are "questionably" Paleo, but everyone needs a treat once in a while and this seems like a much better option.  Since my goal for Avery is just gluten free, I think we did good.

The crust is super easy to make.  They are not joking when the said that it would be a runny batter rather than a dough either!  It does firm up into a bread formation though, so don't worry (and you bake it a bit before you top it).  It is a pan style crust, so you could try to make a thinner crust I suppose.


I personally think it would be just good as a bread... or garlic bread.  Who needs pizza all the time?!?! Well maybe some of us do ;-)

Ingredients

2 cups almond flour 1 cup arrowroot powder (or tapioca flour) I bought both flours, but I am pretty sure I used tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. oregano - I didn't have any oregano, so I used dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 eggs
1/2 cup almond milk - unsweetened almond milk in our house


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a round pizza pan (no holes) or cookie sheet.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk to blend together.
  3. Add eggs and almond milk to the dry ingredients. Mix well. (The batter will be runny–not like typical pizza dough.)
  4. Use a spatula to spread batter onto greased pan. The thinner you spread it, the quicker it will cook (duh) I sprayed my pizza dish with coconut oil - wonder if my stoneware would have worked?!?!
  5. Bake crust in preheated oven 8-12 minutes. If it’s really thick you may need to continue cooking for 3-4 more minutes. The crust was kind of thick for me, so I baked it 12+ minutes
  6. Remove crust from oven and top with sauce and desired toppings.
  7. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Recipe from Unrefined Kitchen

Let me know how it goes for you, and if you enjoy it!!

PIZZA!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment