Of course it is not a traditional Shepherds Pie. I used ground turkey instead of lamb, didn't use a layer of carrots, and didn't use mashed potatoes!! Not much of a shepherds pie. lol. My layers include ground turkey in a tomato sauce (with bacon and hidden shredded cauliflower), shredded zucchini and carrot, and sweet potato/pumpkin mash. I hid the cauliflower in the meat sauce because I am hoping my husband and Avery at least eat the meat sauce. LOL. I made Aver some individual sized pies and skipped the veggie layer... baby steps!!
- Ground Turkey -- I just used a prepacked chunk, I have no idea what it weighed
- Bacon -- use as little or as much as you like. I cooked the whole pack, but Ave and I ate at least 1/2 of it ;-)
- Sundried Tomatoes -- use as many as you like. I love them so I use lots (probably 3 forkfulls) I buy mine pre-shredded at Costco
- 1 can diced tomatoes -- I used a medium sized can
- 1 can tomato paste
- shredded cauliflower -- this you can use as little or as much as you want. I wanted it subtle, so I probably used 1/4 cauliflower head
- shredded zucchini, and carrot -- I just used up whatever was in my fridge and I used all I had
- 2 sweet potatoes
- pureed pumpkin -- I used leftover canned pumpkin. Just make sure its not sweetened
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast sweet potatoes until soft -- I cooked one in the microwave from frozen.
- Remove skins and mash.
- Add equal amounts of pumpkin and mix well.
- Add cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside mash.
- In a large skillet, cook up the bacon. Crumble/chop the bacon and set aside. Try not to eat it all!
- throw your shredded zucchini and carrots in remaining bacon fat and cook - place in a bowl and set aside.
- cook the cauliflower in remaining bacon grease - place in a bowl and set aside I needed a little more fat, so I tossed in a little extra bacon grease (we keep ours stored)
- add ground turkey and sundried tomatoes into skillet and brown turkey I kept chopping mine up to avoid big chunks
- add the bacon, diced tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well
- add cooked cauliflower to the mix
- Begin layering your dish (oven safe). I used pyrex dishes Meat mixture, veggies, mash.
- place in the oven and bake at 350 until sauce bubbles- 15-20 min, and broil for 10 minutes to brown the mash
I hope you enjoy it....