How did the family like it? Avery has not eaten anything I have made her in the sauce so far, but that is not much of a surprise. My husband, he likes it! He is quite happy to have his chicken thighs/wings dunked in BBQ sauce and thrown on the grill. It was great on my BBQ chicken Meastza, and I have even used it on some grilled eggplant!! Yum Yum!
I think the next time I make it I am going to experiment with the spice blends a little. I quite fancy a Chipotle BBQ sauce!
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce – no sugar added - I used a giant can of crushed tomatoes and just guessed what 15oz would be
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste – no sugar added - we get 5.5 oz cans here in Canada, or at least the stuff I bought was
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce - you can use coconut aminos, OR my soy replacement
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika - I used smoked paprika, and I am very generous
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons unsulfered molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey - use raw honey - we like Grandma Bee's (you can buy it at the St Albert Farmers market, or Save on Foods) Grandma Bees Honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and mix well using a whisk.
- Use as you would any other bbq sauce!
I told you it was easy!! LOL. It makes quite a lot of sauce, so be sure to start saving your empty jars!