Is making them cheaper? I would have to say yes. I spent $10 on dates, and maybe (at the most) used 1/4 of the box. $8.00 on raw cashews I maybe used 1/3 of the bag. Oranges - mine cost $1.27. Cocoa powder, I had a ton of that, but its cheap enough. I had some almonds and walnuts in the cupboard already. I'm guessing it cost less than $10 to make 8 bars....
Was it easy to make? Yes. Doesnt take any skill, its just really messy!! Dates are super super sticky!
I took Avery a sample when I picked her up from her dayhome I had a bar for her. She ate it up! My husband (the pickiest eater in the house) sampled it and said it was "nice" that is good coming from him! Perhaps he will take them as snacks to work. I certainly loved them, chocolate and orange just mesh for me. Ive already eaten two :-)
I cut them up and individually wrapped them for on the go snacks!
- 1.5 cups of nuts (I used almonds, walnuts and raw cashews)
- 20 Medjool dates (these are the big, fat, squishy ones)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Zest of one large orange
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Line an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with plastic wrap or wax paper. Set aside. (I used wax paper)
- Add the nuts to the food processor and pulse down until they become small, crumbly bits. Don’t let it go too long or it will become nut butter – Some pieces may be a bit bigger and some might be tiny. That’s okay. Pour the nuts in a large bowl.
- Now, pit the dates and put them in the food processor. Pulse about 5 times until they are slightly broken down.
- Add the cocoa powder, orange zest, orange juice and sea salt.
- Process until the dates form a huge chocolatey ball. (My food processor struggled a bit, so I had to keep breaking up the giant ball of goo)
- Now, with clean hands: add the chocolatey dates to the nuts and combine both together. You’ll have to knead pretty well but keep at it. (its really sticky and really messy)
- Once all the nuts are blended in, you’ll take the lump of deliciousness and put it in the baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish until it’s packed down and smooth. (i laid down more wax paper and used a jar - kind of like a rolling pin - to pack the mixture down)
- Freeze for 20 minutes until firm.
- Turn out the mixture onto a cutting board and chop into pieces as big or small as you’d like. I usually make 12 bars from one dish.
- I individually wrap them. They can be frozen for a couple months if packed to withstand freezer burn. If not, store in the fridge for short term use. ( I wrapped them in wax paper then in saran wrap)
Original recipe: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/28/chocolate-orange-naked-bars/
Hope you enjoy!