Sunday 9 June 2013

Paleo Gumbo!

Wooo!  Who doesn't love Gumbo?!?!  Well I guess all those people who don't like or are allergic to seafood.  The picture was posted by Jest Eat Real Food as a taunt on Facebook, if it got enough likes they would post the recipe.  Luckily I already had the recipe pinned on Pinterest ;-)

It was not a difficult recipe, but I found the prep time was more than 20 min.  Cracking all the crab legs took me forever.  I suppose you could have used canned crab, but that just wouldn't be as good.  

Its a very expensive recipe to make (although it does make LOTS).  Crab and shrimp do not come at a reasonable price in this part of the world! 

Oh, and OKRA?!?!  Where the heck do you go in St Albert to find Okra??  I tried walmart, save-on foods, and the Enjoy center.  No suck luck, either fresh or frozen! On top of that, I forgot onions. Oh well, Gumbo is traditionally a throw in what you have recipe so I threw in portabello mushrooms.

Last problem... it stinks!  Our house still smells like seafood.  Cook with the windows open!

Despite all this, the dish got mad reviews in our house, my husband said he would ask me to make it again.  I loved it.  I had two heapings of it! (I served mine with riced cauliflower)


Ingredients

  • 2 lb. shrimp; (907grams in Canadian terms)
  • 1 cup oysters; (we skipped this.  don't like oysters.  we threw in some cod instead)
  • 1 cup crab meat;
  • Crab claws;
  • 2 onions, chopped; (I forgot to buy onions-woops)
  • 2 cups okra, chopped;(i threw in portabello mushrooms instead, its what I had)
  • 2 tbsp. Coconut oil;
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes;
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced; (i used 4)
  • 6 green onions, finely chopped;
  • 6-cup of water;
  • 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper; (I trew in some extra, and some FRANKS)
  • 1/3-cup fresh parsley, finely chopped;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;

Roux 

Ingredients

  • ½ cup paleo cooking fat (I used bacon grease)
  • 5 tbsp. almond flour;
  • 5 tbsp. coconut flour; (I ran out of coconut flour so i just did extra almond)

Directions

  1. Over a medium-high heat, melt ½ cup of cooking fat. Whisk in the coconut and almond flour, and stir until you get a nice dark caramel color. (this takes a few minutes, so be patient)
  2. Add the shrimp to the mixture, cook for a few minutes, and then set aside.
  3. In a big soup pot over a medium high, heat up the coconut oil. Toss in the onions and okra and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until the okra is done. (I threw in my mushrooms)
  4. Once the okra is nicely browned, add the diced tomatoes and garlic. This is where I threw my seasoning in.  Cook for a minute or two, then add the water and season to taste.
  5. Add the shrimp mixture to the soup and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Add the crab meat, the oysters, and the crab claws, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
  7. Add the parsley and green onions and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until everything is nicely cooked.
Original Recipe: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/seafood-gumbo/ 
 
This will be a great recipe in the fall and winter.  Its been a little cooler these past few days, so it was nice to have some warm comfort food.  We have so much of it, I am going to throw some in the freezer too.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!

Happy Gumbo!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment