It was a recipe that I had to shop for. I needed bell peppers, I needed mushrooms, I needed jalepenos, I needed garlic, I needed coconut aminos, I needed sesame oil, I needed a lot of stuff. Good thing we needed a few other groceries too. Its also an added bonus that Avery will tolerate grocery shopping too now.
Of course I did not follow the recipe. Lol. What fun would that be?!?! I am lazy, and I find when I cook chicken it never turns out perfectly, so I bought 2 rotisserie chickens. (It works out perfectly in our house because my husband likes the wings/thighs). I also added a few extra things, like, shrimp, kale, spinach and a yellow pepper. So here is my make-over of the PaleOMG recipe :-)
- 2 tablespoons duck fat (or other kind of fat) - I used coconut oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (or gluten free soy sauce) - I used naked coconuts soy substitute - which you can find at the Enjoy Centre
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha - This is the spice, so I used more than 1 teaspoon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed - i used the breasts from 2 rotissserie chickens
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced - of course I didn't measure and I used my chopped mushrooms from costco
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced - I also added a yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño - i used 1 jalepeno (I didnt measure)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger - I guessed here too
- 1-2 cups mango, cubed - I used 2 mangoes chopped as nicely as I could
- 3-4 tablespoons green onions, diced - I bought green onions, but forgot to use them
- Raw Shrimp
- chopped kale & spinach
- cilantro, to garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste - i skipped this too
- lime juice, to garnish
- Add the florets of cauliflower to a food processor with the shredding attachment to rice the cauliflower.
- Place a large skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat and add duck fat and riced cauliflower to the pan
- Then add 2 tablespoons coconut aminos, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, and 1 teaspoon sriracha, along with a bit of salt. Mix to coat and let sit to let the cauliflower begin to brown. I mixed all the liquids together (with extra sriracha) in a bowl before adding it to the cauliflower
- While the “rice” browns, place another skillet over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon sesame oil along with minced garlic and the cubed chicken. Pour 1 tablespoon coconut aminos and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce over the chicken. - my chicken was cooked, so I just skipped this step
- Once chicken has browned and almost cooked through, add mushrooms, bell pepper, jalapeno, ginger, mango, green onions and a bit of salt and pepper to the chicken and cover to let steam. Mushrooms take longer to cook for my liking - so I cooked them first with the jalepano, garlic and ginger (FYI - I chopped the spiced in my mini food processor) -- I then added my shrimp, peppers, spinach and kale to the mix and extra liquids
- Once mushrooms and peppers are soft, add chicken mixture to the cauliflower rice and mix well. - I cubed my chicken directly into the rice, then added the rest of the mix
- Add a bit more salt and a dash of pepper.
- Top of roughly chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
I absolutely loved the dish, and I hope you enjoy it too.