I had seen the recipe on Pinterest (no surprise there) and I wanted to make them yesterday; however, I did not have any bacon! If a recipe calls for bacon, you CANNOT make it without the bacon! LOL. The recipe was pretty easy, as usual I made a few changes, but they were/are DELICIOUS. Avery did not eat hers, but she did not eat a thing on her plate this evening!
- 1 lb ground free range chicken, or 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips and pulsed in a food processor until ground - I used ground turkey, and i didnt quite have 1lb
- 1 small yellow onion, diced - forgot to buy this so i skipped it
- 1 clove garlic, minced - being lazy i used the pre-diced stuff in the fridge
- 3 strips bacon, diced - I may have used 6 slices :-)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil - whoops, forgot to measure this
- 2 tablespoons homemade tomato sauce - I used tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley - or as much as you would like
- Oh I added mushrooms too!!
- Preheat your oven to 400º and place a rack in the upper third of your oven.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the diced bacon and cook until a good amount of fat has been rendered out, about 1 tablespoon or so. - this is where i added mushrooms
- Add the diced onion and the garlic and cook until the onion is translucent and the bacon is crispy. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. meh- i just dumped them in my meat mixture
- Combine the ground chicken, egg yolk, 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce, parsley and the bacon, onion and garlic in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix well. whoops, i forgot this too!
- Form meatballs and roll into little balls, about 1 tablespoon of mixture per ball. Place the formed meatballs into a large baking dish about one inch apart. I lined my baking dish with aluminum foil and sprayed it with olive oil - I like an easy clean up
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce together in a small bowl and brush on top of each meatball. Pop into your preheated oven, and bake for 15 minutes. my sauce was quite a bit thicker than what seemed to be in the original recipe, but i quite enjoyed it!
Hope you enjoy them!!