Tuesday 16 July 2013

21DSD: Change of Pace

So I am throwing in the towel... sort of...  I am going to keep some aspects of the detox going, but I am also adding some things back into my diet.

This has been a really hard decision for me to make... I am not a quitter, I don't just give up on things, but I do think it is for the best... LONG TERM.



So WHY am I giving up?
I need to think long term.  I have spent the past 3 months training to run the Edmonton Marathon in August. (That's a big commitment).  Since I have started the sugar detox my runs have suffered, and I am struggling to recover from my workouts.  Yesterday I ate a lot more "carbs" (meaning almond flour, sweet potato, fruit) than I was supposed to, and this morning.... well I had a good run.  On top of that I was able to double up and do a Hot Yoga workout. I didn't need a nap today, managed Avery, and even took her for a bike ride!  I really want to race well, so I think I need to make the commitment to my race, not the sugar detox.

I'm not feeling all the "positives" that are supposed to come along with the detox.  Granted I don't crave the sweets as much as I used to, and I am not chugging bottles of wine on a bad day.  BUT, I am not feeling a new found energy.  I have been tired and groggy.  I have been needing naps and feeling very lazy!!  Not what I signed up for!!

What am I giving up? What am I keeping?
I'm not giving up 100% on the detox.  I will continue to eat the Paleo way I have been eating.  I will also not be jumping back into the wine.  I will stick to one fruit serving a day, but it will be a fruit of my choice.  If I have the urge for something sweet (chocolate) then I will eat some more fruit.  I am not going to avoid sweet potatoes on the days I am not working out. I will incorporate them into every meal, just not as the bulk of my vegetable servings.  I will avoid eating foods with added sugar (even if it is a natural sweetener such as raw honey or pure maple syrup); however, if I want one of my delicious muffins before a workout, then I will have one. I'm allowed treats :-)  I will continue to avoid dairy.  I have given up sour cream and liquid whipping cream in my coffee, and I can say I don't miss them too much!! I now use guacamole (homemade) and unsweetened almond milk.

I know I was hoping to lose weight, and some more inches from the middle, but that will come with time and hard work.  My goal was by the end of the summer, and I still have 6 weeks to get that done!!  So stay tuned for my updates on my progress, and more exciting new recipes!!

Hope your not too disappointed in my decision!!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment