Sunday 7 October 2012

Eat By Design: Day 4 - How I Survived Thanksgiving Dinner!!

Oh wow! It is day 4...... and Today we celebrated turkey day with the Miles -Lipscombe-McIntyre Family. (Our technically unrelated, but extended family)



Thanksgiving dinner... one of my FAVORITE meals of the year.  Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes,veggies, macaroni and cheese, corn bread, pumpkin pie.... the list can go on and on.

Today's thanksgiving meal was a potluck.  Of course I needed to make my "famous mac n' cheese."  Given that everyone is looking towards a healthier way of living, I made it with a twist.  I used rice noodles, then added some broccoli and zucchini. Of course, this still did not make it something I could eat.  Typically when I make mac n cheese I taste all the cheeses, taste the sauce as I am making it, sample the product before it bakes, then over indulge in it when it is finished.  Today was not the day for that.... and I am very proud to say that I made it through successfully!!

I knew I would not be able to eat dessert, so I thought ahead and took my own dessert.  I made the Paleo coconut macaroons.  I think I ate 1/2 of them. LOL.  (I will blog about the recipe)

As I said, everyone (well most of the women) are aiming to eat some healthier diet.  So dinner was gluten free!!  There was even plenty of options for me to eat.  I did have to skip all the delights with cheese, and the lovely looking trifle, but I still had a great meal!

SOOOOO  What the heck did I eat today?
Breakfast - bacon, coffee (I didnt have much time before I went to crossfit)
Lunch - smoked salmon
Dinner - turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad, coconut macaroons
Treats - coconut macaroons, red wine

How Am I Feeling?
I feel pretty good.  I would like to say I feel drastically different, but its the weekend, so I always feel a little more rested. I have noticed that my belly feels less bloated and gassy.

What Was Challenging For Me?
It's thanksgiving dinner. My favorite meal of the year!  What wasn't challenging?!?!  I wanted to eat the mac and cheese and he carrot cake trifle!!!!!!! I find it helpful that I have told everyone what eating plan I am trying, so I am accountable.

Confessions
I probably drank more red wine than is supposed to be consumed in a day.  My BF has a joke that she will have to do a red wine intervention at the end of my 30 days. LOL, but a diet without wine is not an option!! LOL
I also probably ate more coconut macaroons than I needed to today. in the words of Avery "whoooops"

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, I hope your day is/was as wonderful and blessed as ours!!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment