Sunday 25 March 2012

Triple Chocolate Cheesecake

I was craving Cheesecake as I often do, and  I was looking at all the cheesecake recipes on Pinterest.  I finally decided to give into my craving, which I have not done since I was pregnant!!  I was debating between the cupcake looking cheesecakes and this recipe, but chocolate usually wins ;-)

It was a fairly easy recipe to follow.  Although the measurments are a little odd for us Canadians.  We don't deal with ounces, all our products are listed in grams. I do have a handy app on my iPhone that does conversions if needed, and its FREE!! 

Making the pie crust was a pain in the butt.  I could not find chocolate animal crackers, so I used Chocolate Teddy Grahams. It wasnt quite a 9oz bag, so I also mixed in some chocolate wafer cookies.  I think next time I would leave them out and just go with the Teddy Grahams.  I didnt find that 1/4 cup of margarine was enough, so next time I will research some other crust options, or increase the amount of margarine.  I don't really enjoy a crumbly crust. Oh, and I beat my cookies to a crumb with a hammer, it might be easier to toss them in the bullet / food processor.

The cheesecake, well, I had a few minor complications.  A bag of chocolate chips is not 2 cups of chips. Who Knew?!?!  Well you may have, but I didn't!  I didn't have enough dark chocolate chips, so I threw in some milk chocolate chips to fill up the cup.  There is no melting instructions, so I threw the chocolate in the microwave for 30 second intervals.  Did not melt very smoothly.  I added a little cream and butter, and that seemed to help. I threw it in my Kitchenaid with the other ingredients and it seemed to work itself out.  I think next time I would try melting the chocolate with the butter and cream in a pot on the stove.

The topping, a complete mess!! It tells  you to pour the white chocolate mix over the cake, then drizzle the chocolate mix over it.  I did this, and the sauce was still very warm and runny. It melted my cake a little and it ran EVERYWHERE!!!  Next time I will be letting the mixes cool, much longer than the recommended 5 minutes.

This is my cake, you can see the crumbly crust, its not quite as pretty as the original, but it was DELICIOUS, and I will definitely make it again!


Here is the recipe I got online, and as before my comments are in RED

Ingredients
Crust:
-  9oz chocolate wafer cookies (i use animal crackers) - i used chocolate teddy grahams
-  1/4 c. margarine (melted) i used a little more than this

Cheesecake
- 2 (80z.) packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (softened)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups Nestle Dark Chocolate Morsels (melted)
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. margarine (melted)
- 3 tsp. vanilla

Topping
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream (divided)
- 1/4 c. white chocolate chips
- 1/4 c. milk chocolate chips

Directions
Cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- crush cookies into fine crumbs and add melted margarine. Combine well and press into the bottom of a 9-inch Springform Pan - crush the cookies in a blender or food processor
- Beat softened cream cheese with sugar until smooth
- Pour into crust and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes - i forgot this step :-0
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 60 minutes
- Turn off oven, open oven door a little and allow to sit for another 30 min
- Remove from oven and run knife around edge of pan.  Remove edge of pan
- Allow cheesecake to cool to room temperature before adding toppings

Toppings
- put 1/2 c. whipping cream into saucepan and heat just until bubbling at edges.  Turn heat off, add white chocolate chips, cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, stir until smooth - stir the white chocolate well, it doesn't melt as quickly and smoothly as milk chocolate
- Repeat this process in another saucepan with the milk chocolate chips.
- Pour white chocolate over cheesecake and then drizzle with milk chocolate until entire cheesecake is covered. This step I recommend allowing the mixes to cool so the sauce is not so thin and runny
- Chill overnight before serving

Here is the original recipe i got from Pinterest
http://easybaked.net/2012/03/01/triple-chocolate-cheesecake/


Happy Baking!!


JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment