Wednesday 28 March 2012

Southwestern Turkey Burgers

All I had in the house in terms of meat was ground turkey, and I though to myself, what on earth should we have for dinner?!?!  I decided to consult my Pinterest recipe board to help me out a little. I had a few turkey burger recipes to choose from, but the Southwest burgers just jumped out at me!  Since it isn't treat day, I put the recipe into myfitnesspal to see if the calorie count would be ok.  Surprisingly the burgers are about 120 calories per patti (it you divide them into 6).

The recipe is super easy. No major work involved other than chopping the onion, red pepper, cilantro, and garlic.  I couldn't be bothered to use fresh garlic, so I opened up a jar of pre-chopped.  I always add a little more than the recipe calls for, because I find the stuff fin the jar doesn't have as strong of a flavor.  We seem to have run out of paprika, so I added a little cayenne pepper instead. 

I bought the weight watchers hamburger buns, 110 calories each. Topped it with a slice mozzarella, tomato, banana pepper, and spinach.  Oh yes, and all the little bits of deliciousness that fell out of the burger too!! I really enjoyed the burger. I thought it was delicious!!

As usual, my comments are in RED




for the burger patties-
1.25 lbs. ground turkey {93/7}
2 tablespoons butter, divided - I used olive oil instead
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup sweet corn
1/3 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon each of salt & pepper
1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika


topping-  these are the original suggestions
diced avocados
salsa
tomato slices
cheddar cheese
lettuce
lime wedges

4-6 soft kaiser rolls or hamburger buns



Directions:

Place large skillet over medium heat and melt 1/2 tablespoon butter. Saute onions, red pepper and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in corn, black beans, salt and pepper to taste.

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, sauteed vegetables, and seasonings. Divide into 6 patties {or 4 large patties}.

In the same large skillet the veggies were sauteed in, place over medium high heat again and melt half the remaining butter {which should be 3/4 tablespoon}. Cook burgers in two batches until thoroughly cooked, about 4 minutes per side. Remove and place in oven to keep warm or serve immediately on buns with desired toppings. 

Happy Cooking

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment