Saturday 31 March 2012

Skinny Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo

I think we are all a little excited when we see a traditionally delicious meal with the word "skinny" in front of it!  Once again I was browsing Pinterest and I saw a skinny recipe.  It has broccoli in it, so it really was not on the top of my list of things to cook.  My husband does not like broccoli.  I decided the recipe looked quick and easy so we may as well give it a try. He can just pick out the bits he dosen't like.

I didn't feel like dealing with chicken, or mincing garlic (yet again), so I picked up a rotisserie chicken when we were at Costco, and used the garlic in a jar.  We also decided that we would like shrimp for dinner too, so I decided to toss some of those in the mix too.  I had planned on putting mushrooms in the sauce, but I forgot to buy those.

The recipe was pretty simple to follow. Boil the noodles, fettuccine for us, macaroni for the baby.  Sautee the garlic in olive oil, add the flour and whisk.  I don't have a whisk, so a fork worked just fine.  I added all the ingredients, then got to the Parmesan cheese, bugger, I forgot to buy some.  So off to the store my husband goes.  He came back without the cheese so off again he went.  I turned the sauce off during all of this so it didn't spoil or get clumpy.  When he finally got home, being the lazy chef I am, I just dumped the cheese in the sauce without measuring (similar to the way I did with the seasoning).  I think I may have put a little too much cheese in, because it took quite a while to melt.  The sauce was a little thick, so I ended up adding a little extra milk.

All in all, the meal was delicious!!  My husband and I ate entirely too much, (yes he picked out all of the broccoli) and even the baby ate hers.  I am not sure how skinny it is at just over 400 calories per serving without the noodles, but it was a nice quick easy meal.



Ingredients
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
2 cups roasted broccoli florets
8 ounces fettuccine
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

 In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.


 Whisk in the flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan.


Add cooked chicken and broccoli to sauce mixture, followed by the cooked pasta. Toss to combine and serve with more Parmesan, if desired.

Original recipe courtesy of:

Happy Cooking!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment