Monday 1 October 2012

Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

My first "Eat By Design" recipe experiment!!  

As always cooking vegetables for my family is a questionable adventure, but surprisingly this was a huge success.  Avery loved the squash.  She ate it for dinner yesterday and today!  My hubby sampled it and said "I could eat this."

The beautiful thing about spaghetti squash is it doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own, so it really takes well to sauces.  The texture is nice too! Crunchy, but not hard or grainy.  I LOVED it!!

Here is what I made for dinner ( I combined a variety of recipes/stuff)

The Squash

Cut the spaghetti squash in 1/2 and spoon out all the yucky stuff
Give the belly a good rub in some olive oil
Sprinkle with seasoning (i used my garlic seasoning since we were doing "italian", but next time I think we will go Cajun)
Bake face down for 40 min at 400F
Turn over and grill/broil for 5 or so min to crispy (optional)
When cooked take a fork and scrape out the squash ... it comes out looking like spaghetti!!



 The Sauce

2 cans of tomato paste (you could make your own paste, but I am lazy)
Lots of diced tomatoes (i used about 6 romas - but i had some leftover canned tomatoes in olive oil so i used them up too)
Fresh Basil
Turkey meatballs (homemade)
Garlic sausage
Shrimp
Mushrooms  ( sauteed the musrooms, sausage, shrimp, and some basil with garlic before adding to the sauce)

Heat tomato paste and tomatoes to cook the tomatoes down a little.
Add all the other good stuff and simmer

Turkey Meatballs

Ground Turkey
Garlic Seasoning
Mix it all up and form into meatballs
heat up some olive oil and cook them in a skillet

I thought all of this was absolutely easy and delicious!!!!!

I hope you give it a try and enjoy it too!

Happy Cooking!!
JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment