Monday 17 June 2013

Paleo Mayonnaise

I love egg salad, ranch dressing, I love sauce.  When I switched to eating paleo and cut out the processed pre-packaged foods, I really missed the sauces and dips.  I set out on a mission to make a good mayonnaise.  I read recipes and recipes, and I tried more than I care to admit before I found one that 1. actually worked, and 2. tasted good.  I had given up, it was becoming quite expensive to keep failing.   I decided to try one more time when I saw the recipe in the EveryDay Paleo cookbook.

I can't be bothered to look the recipe up in the book, so I am just going to tell you how I make it!  Techniques used have developed over my multiple failures. lol
Glad I have saved all my containers!!



Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 squeeze of yellow mustard (approximately 1 teaspoon - no more otherwise it tastes mustardy)
  • salt - (i have a few grinds of my sea salt grinder)
  • pinch of cayenne pepper (this is totally optional, i only do it occasionally) 
  • 1/2 -1 cup light olive oil (add olive oil until you get the consistency you want)
Directions:
  • You need an immersion (stick) blender, and a mixing bowl that the blender fits into snugly.
  • add the egg yolks, mustard, vinegar and salt to the bowl and pulse a few times
  • very very slowly add the olive oil little bits at a time (that's how slowly you need to add it)
  • start the blender at the bottom of the container and gradually move it to the top. repeat.
  • continue to add the olive oil slowly until you get the consistency you want
  • once the liquid starts emulsify (thicken), you can add the olive oil a little quicker
This is my go too recipe for mayo, and the family loves it!!

Happy Mixing!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment