I keep a big bag of black bananas in my fridge, always. It was getting a little full, so I looked for something to make with bananas. I came across the chunky monkey muffins and thought I would give it a whirl.
The recipe calls for coconut sugar, and I substituted raw, local, honey. Coconut sugar is not sustainable. Once you tap a tree for coconut sugar it can no longer bear fruit. If you are interested in more info on coconut sugar, click here. Honey is a great substitute in this recipe, and I will substitute honey where it will work.
The muffins get 3/3 stars! Woooo!! Avery ate them, my husband ate them, and of course I did too. There is rarely a recipe I make that I dont like. LOL
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup coconut sugar I used 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 cup mashed bananas, from ~2 medium bananas my bananas looked small so I used 2 1/2
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract just wing it ;-)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup chocolate chips - or maybe a few extra - we use the mini chips
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, tapioca flour, and baking soda. I just mix them in my measuring cup. No point messing up extra dishes
- In another large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, bananas, vanilla extract, and eggs. I used my kitcheaid
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Divide batter among the lined muffin cups.
- Bake until the muffins have puffed and the edges have slightly browned, about 20-25 minutes. I baked them probably closer to 25 minutes
Hope you enjoy!