Sunday 17 February 2013

Paleo Orange Chicken

Who doesn't love orange chicken?!?!  Isn't that the most popular item at North American Chinese restaurants?  Well it sure is mine, and being Paleo, it is NOT something you really get to indulge in!  When I found this recipe I was super excited, but also a little skeptical.  I really did not think it could compare to breaded, fried and sweet!  To make it even better.... the left overs were delicious too!! My only complaint is the sauce is a little runny, so you could thicken it up with a little almond or coconut flour (I'll let you know how that works out!)

Paleo Orange Chicken and Curry Spinach


So here is the original recipe with my input in red...
  1. 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite size pieces) I used chicken breasts
  2. 3 T fat (coconut oil works well here)
  3. juice of 2 oranges*
  4. zest from 1 orange
  5. 1 t fresh ginger
  6. 3 T coconut aminos or wheat-free soy sauce  I used coconut aminos
  7. 1 t chili garlic sauce or sriracha  I used siracha sauce, as garlic chili sauce has some not so great stuff in it
  8. 3 green onions, chopped  I bought green onions, but forgot to use them

Directions:

  1. In a medium size sauce pot, add the orange juice, zest, ginger, coconut aminos and chili garlic sauce or sriracha. 
  2. Set over medium heat and let simmer to reduce and thicken while the chicken cooks. Mine never really seemed to thicken up
  3. In a saute pan, heat 3 T of the fat of your choice, over medium high heat. 
  4. Add the chopped chicken thighs and cook until a nice brown crust has developed on the chicken pieces, about 6 minutes. 
  5. Add the chicken to the sauce pot and stir to coat with the orange sauce. I let my chicken hang out in the sauce for a while so it really absorbed the flavor of the sauce.  I would almost be tempted to cook my chicken in the sauce.
  6. Serve topped with sliced green onions. 
*Taste your oranges. If they don’t taste orange-y, then neither will this dish. Use tangerines if you gotta or add a teaspoon of sweetener until you’re satisfied with the flavor.

Original Recipe: http://www.health-bent.com/poultry/paleo-orange-chicken

Tonight I am going to try this recipe with some shrimp!  I will be cooking my shrimp in the sauce so I will let you know how it turns out!!

Happy Cooking!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment