I call them protein muffins because they use almond flour, and that's a source of protein, and fruit, well they are packed full of yummy fruity stuff. Its hard to find dried fruit that is not full of sugar and chemicals, but there is some out there if you look!
- 4 C blanched almond flour (you can find this at Save-On in the bulk baking stuff)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1/4 C honey (since it will be cooked it doesn’t need to be raw)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 C butter - melted works best
- 2 medium apples, (not peeled) grated and strained
- the zest from 1 orange (i use the grater not the zester)
- 1 cup of raisins **
- 1/2 cup of organic dried apricots chopped (I use Prana Apricots - I get them at Save-on) **
- 1/2 cup of chopped dates **
- 1/2 cup of blanched slivered almonds (or any other nut of your choice)
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips (optional)
- pre-heat your oven to 325
- Sift together dry ingredients
- In a separate bowl, beat your wet ingredients until well combined - add the eggs one at a time and allow them to mix in well
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add fruit into wet until fully incorporated
- Fill muffin liners to the top (they don't raise)
- Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on your oven!
** be sure to check the ingredients to make sure that sugar and any yucky chemical stuff is not listed on the ingredients!
Happy Baking, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!!