Thursday 21 February 2013

Riced Cauliflower

Well I needed something for dinner... and I have 3 heads of cauliflower in my fridge so I needed to make something.  Cauliflower mashed potatoes and cauliflower rice had been on my list of things to try out, and well, I went with the rice.  Salmon and rice, sounds like a fantastic meal!

I was a little worried about the taste because I could smell the sesame oil and coconut aminos, and thought it would taste too strongly of those flavors, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Very mild taste, nice texture and very satisfying.  I did add some Franks, but I would have added hot sauce to this meal if I had made it with regular rice. The true test will be if my husband will eat it when he gets back.

The recipe called for green onions and garlic, but considering it was fried rice, it needed something else.  I remembered that I had some left over carrots in the fridge, so I chopped them up and threw them in.  Looked much better with a little more color!!

Ingredients
  1. 1 head of cauliflower
  2. 3 tablespons coconut oil - I didnt measure my coconut oil, but I did add more through the cooking process
  3. 3 green onions, diced
  4. 2 garlic cloves, minced i used the pre-diced stuff I have in the fridge :-O
  5. 1 egg, whisked
  6. 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
  7. 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  8. black pepper I skipped this - I really am not a fan of black pepper
  9. I added chopped carrots
Directions
  1. rinse and dry the cauliflower and cut into florets
  2. place florets in food processor and process until  they are finely minced, looking like rice
  3. in a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over the medium heat
  4. add the cauliflower and saute for 5-6 minutes I really did not keep track of the time i was busy doing other things
  5. add the green onions and garlic and saute with the cauliflower for another 2-3 miutes
  6. push the cauliflower mixture to the side of the pan and pour the whisked egg onto the empty side of the pan and cook until the egg begins to firm
  7. mix the egg into the cauliflower mixture and add the coconut aminos, the sesame oil and black pepper
  8. taste your riced cauliflower and add more aminos or sesame oil if desired
Recipe from Everyday Paleo - Family Cookbook - Real Food for Real Life





Salmon - this was super easy.  I threw some lemon juice in a skillet with coconut oil and the salmon.  I seasoned it with Lemon Pepper seasoning and sauteed it until it was cooked through!  Yummy Yummy!

Hope you give the riced cauliflower a try, I really enjoyed it!!

JoJo!! 


1 comment:

  1. Tried this and loved it Joanna, I did fry up some mushrooms with garlic and 1/2 chopped onion first and then added the riced cauli...cant wait to try it again, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete