Thursday 19 July 2012

Cajun Shrimp and Rice

What got me about this recipe was that it cooks in 8 minutes!!!

Well.... my version did NOT take 8 minutes.  I could not find microwavable whole grain brown rice, so I use the 10 minute instant stuff.  It took me almost 10 min to peel and devein my shrimp.  So now it is a 10 min dinner if i make my rice and devein my shrimp at the same time.  You still have to cook your shrimp, and the other ingredients.

So here is how I made dinner tonight..... I used Uncle Ben's instant 10 minute brown rice.  I think my meat should be cooked in my seasoning, and my husband isnt a fan of onions, so I cooked down my onions and garlic with some of the cajun seasoning and smoked paprika BEFORE I added in my jumbo shrimp.  Once I added in the shrimp I added extra seasoning.  Then I added my tomatoes, lastly the rice for a hot minute.  I did not use the veggies or green onions because my husband does not like them, and dinner was for him tonight. I also drained the tomatoes.  Who wants soggy food? certainly not us!!  Stewed tomatoes give you enough juice, you dont need the extras.

One thing I have learned from cooking Pinterest recipes, they never seem to have enough seasoning for my tastebuds.  Usually the first time I make a recipe I make it according to the rules, today I paid no attention, I made it how we like it.  The recipe was just a guideline.

I think dinner probably took about 20-30 minutes total prep and cook time, but it sure was worth it.  Both my husband and I had seconds.  It was absolutely delicious, and sooooooo easy to make!!!!!



Ingredients
  • 1 (8.8-ounce) pouch microwavable rice (whole-grain brown rice)I used Uncle Ben's 10 min brown rice
  • Cooking spray I think I skipped this step
  • 1 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, salt-freeHahaha - i used way more than this - i did not measure it though
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic I probably used at least two
  • 1/2 of a large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed - skipped this step
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions- skipped this step too
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning- whoops, this one as well :-0
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paparika- definately used more than this
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt added stewed tomatoes, undrained) used a giant can drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt - to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper - to taste
Instructions
Cook rice according to package directions. 

While the rice cooks, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the shrimp with Cajun seasoning; toss to coat. Add shrimp to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm. I skipped this step.  I threw my shrimp in after step 3.  I want all the flavor in my shrimp!

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add the veggies, green onions, paparike, and Italian seasoning; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in cooked rice, shrimp, tomatoes, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. I added some Cajun seasoning and smoked paprika, then more when I added the shrimp.

Good Luck with this!  Our dinner was delightful!

Happy Cooking!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment