Wednesday 18 July 2012

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Sounds a little strange I know, but I just had to give it a try.  The picture looked absolutely delicious!!

As many of you know I am always looking for creative ways to hide veggies in food.  My husband does not eat vegetables, and my baby is getting pickier as she grows up.  Not a good thing!  I on the other hand LOVE veggies, well most of them!

I didn't have all the right ingredients.  I did not have any dried oregano, or mozzarella cheese. I figured cheddar would be ok.  for the toppings I used alfredo sauce and chopped cherry tomatoes, it was all we had in the house, and i generally make pizza with left over tidbits!

The cooking time did not seem quite right to me.  I put my crust in as instructed and it cooked (burned) way too quickly.  I did not leave it in as long as I should.  When my pizza was done it was kind of soggy.  The taste was delicious, but who wants to eat soggy pizza?!?!  I think maybe I made my crust too thin? could I need to add more cauliflower?  I think I will play around with it some more because it really was tasty.  I think it would make really great crackers!


I really need to start taking better pictures!!


CRUST:
1/2 LARGE head cauliflower (or 2+ cups shredded cauliflower)
1 large egg
1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (or try another kind!) I used cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano  i didnt have any of this on hand
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic (or fresh garlic) 
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
TOPPINGS:  i used alfredo sauce, cheddar, and cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato-basil marinara sauce (or pizza sauce)
1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
3 slices Canadian bacon, cut into strips
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits

Directions:

1. Shred the cauliflower into small crumbles. You can use the food processor if you'd like, but you just want crumbles, not puree. You'll need a total of about 2 cups or so of cauliflower crumbles (which is about half a large head of cauliflower. Place the cauliflower crumbles in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes (see Tips below if you do not have a microwave). Give the cauliflower a chance to cool.

2. Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray (or use a nonstick surface). In a medium bowl, mix the cauliflower crumbles (about 1 1/2 cups since they shrink after cooking) with the remaining crust ingredients. Pat the "crust" into a 9 to 12-inch round on the prepared pan. Spray the crust lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 15 minutes (or until golden). Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to broil.

3. Prepare the pizza: Spread the sauce on top of the baked crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top. Add the bacon and pineapple, spreading it out around the pizza. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Broil the pizza 3 to 4 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Cut into 6 slices and serve immediately.


I hope you have better luck than me!  If you do please leave comments so we can all learn from my mistakes!! ;-)

Happy cooking!!

JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment