Saturday 15 February 2014

Paleo Orange Bread

Wooo!!  I'm on a roll this morning!  LOL.  This means, my mom is in town and my husband is home, so I can bake and blog and get caught up.  I think I am a little behind on my posts for the year.  Ok I just checked, I am not behind.  7th week of 2014 and I have 8/54 blog posts written (this one included).

I had bought some oranges, and I couldn't remember for what recipe, so this one looked like a great one to start with.  I was hopeful with this recipe since the banana bread turned out so well.  I was not totally disappointed!!

The flavor is nice (although I think I would add more orange zest next time - I like the orange flavor).  It doesnt taste super eggy, and it is nice and moist.  My only complaint is the texture.  Coconut flour is kind of grainy, and you get that texture in the bread.  I think that is something I just need to get used to.

Anyways... another 3 stars!  Everyone likes it, Avery kept asking for more!

Typical me.  Only when I was writing my comments on the recipe did I realize that I did not follow the recipe.  I added the orange juice into my batter (not supposed to do that).  I think you will need to see how thick your batter is (this will depend on the size of your eggs).  Mine was super thick so the next logical step (when you don't read the recipe) is to add liquid... so I added orange juice :-0 LOL.  My bread turned out nicely, quite moist.  Please let me know if you follow the original instructions, and let me know how it turns out!!


Ingredients
6 eggs
¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
¼ cup coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons raw honey (add more if you like it sweeter) - I only used 2
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
orange zest from 1 orange - I had quite a large orange, and would still use more zest - this will depend on your tastebuds of course
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
½ teaspoon sea salt
juice of ½ medium orange - I juiced my entire orange and added it in

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350°F
Grease an 8″x8″ pan with butter or coconut oil. You can also line it with parchment paper
Mix the eggs, coconut milk, honey, vanilla, orange zest and coconut oil together
In a separate bowl combine the coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt and slowly add it to the wet mixture
This is where my inability to follow directions kicked in - I added the orange juice into the batter - it looked really thick, so it seemed like the logical next step.
Pour the batter into your greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean- mine was done in 35 minutes
After the cake has cooled a bit, but is still warm, poke holes all over the top with a fork
Juice the orange half right over the whole cake, making sure to evenly distribute the juice I did not read this part - i put my orange juice in the cake mix
Sprinkle some orange zest on top - i used all my zest in the cake, because once again i cannot follow instructions.

Recipe from Living Healthy with Chocolate

Happy Baking Friends!!
JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment