Since I was going to Costco, I picked up a rotissere chicken to make my life a little easier. I decided to exclude the grapes and double the apples. (Texture thing - seems like grapes would be kind of mushy) I also skipped the onion and added some mushroom and broccoli instead. Brown mustard? Didn't see any at the store so I used the Dijon mustard I had in the fridge for the dressing. I also doubled the dressing recipe.
Who in my house loves this salad? Me. Only me. It is a 1-star recipe in terms of who will eat it in my house, but in terms of taste - 3 starts for sure! I am thinking this will be a great salad for the summer!!
1/2 pound of brussels sprouts (2-ish cups once sliced)
1/2 Granny Smith apple - I used a full apple
1/2 cup quartered green grapes - skipped this step
1/2 cup chopped almonds - I used just a few extra (I like the crunch)
2 chicken breasts, chopped - Costco rotissere chicken breasts
1/2 white onion, finely diced - I skipped this
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
Vinaigrette: (I doubled the recipe)
2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TBSP quality brown mustard - I used dijon mustard
1 TBSP avocado oil
1 TBSP raw local honey
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt - I just used regular sea salt
few grinds of black pepper
- Cut the brussels sprouts in half and thinly slice.
- Do the same with the Granny Smith apple, slicing into matchsticks.
- Grab a handful of grapes and quarter them, you should end up with about a half cup. - I skipped this
- Chop the half cup of almonds. I slap chopped my almonds
- Finely dice the white onion. Scallions would work too if you prefer a more mild onion flavor… though the white did not overpower. I didn't use either
- I chopped the mushrooms and broccoli and tossed them in
- Remove the breasts and chop into bite-sized pieces. (if using rotiserre chicken)
- Combine all of these ingredients into a large bowl and gently toss the Brussels sprouts salad.
- Whipping up the vinaigrette takes seconds. Add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Pour over the Brussels sprouts salad and toss to bring together.
The original recipe I pinned from: Popular Paleo
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do!!
Happy Cooking and Chopping!!