Tuesday 1 May 2012

Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup

I was browsing on Pinterest today (no surprise there) and one of my friends posted the recipe for Sweet Potato Cauliflower Soup and it just looked delicious.  I had to try it, and I had to try it now!  I stopped in at the grocery story to pick up what I needed. It cost less than $5 to buy the sweet potatoes, onion and cauliflower.  Pretty cost effective meal, because it makes heap loads of soup.

Since I started my new healthy eating habits today, I put the ingredients into myfitnesspal to see what they calorie count would be for such a delicious looking soup. I was pleasantly surprised!  You can have about 2 cups of the soup for less than 150 calories, and it is a hearty filling soup!! PERFECT!!  My only hope was that once I made it it would taste as good as it looks.  For 150 calories, it seems a little too good to be true, but in this case, it wasn't.  

I added a few variations to the soup, but it was absolutely DELICIOUS!!  And luckily for me, I have heap loads of if left over!!



Ingredients
  • 1 large head cauliflower (the one I used was at least 7″ in diameter
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • Few dashes garam masala (optional)  I used Clubhouse Indian Masala Seasoning, and I was quite generous with it
  • 3 medium to large sized peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic  I used 3 cloves of garlic
  • 7 cups filtered water  I used regular old tap water ;-)
Directions:
First, preheat your oven to 400 °F and cut up your cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle cauliflower lightly with garam masala. Place cauliflower onto ungreased cookie sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and let roast until golden brown on the tops and tender, but not mushy, about 20-30 minutes. There’s no need to flip ‘em. Just remove from oven and let cool while you cook the rest of the soup.  My cauliflower was perfectly cooked after 20 minutes

In large stockpot, bring sweet potato, onion, garlic and water to a boil. Salt (abt 3/4 tsp) and stir. Reduce heat and allow to remain at a constant simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Add in cooked cauliflower and divide soup into 2 parts.

Let soup cool and then blend one part soup in blender until very smooth. Combine with second part soup and stir. Salt to taste and warm up over stovetop if needed.  I added some more of the Indian Masala Seasoning, Salt and Pepper.  I found I needed a little extra salt to balance the sweetness from the sweet potatoes.

Original Recipe Courtesy of:

Happy Souping!!
JoJo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment